Monday, July 26, 2010

The Old Man and the Sea: Final Thoughts

My final thoughts on The Old Man and the Sea are as followed:

I absolutely positively did not like the book at all. For the most part it was super boring. If I had to give a summary of the book nobody would ever want to read it. My summary would be this:

An old man who is a fisherman has not caught a fish in a bunch of days. Everyone makes fun of him. There is a boy in the village who takes care of him. He goes way out to sea by himself without food or water (good thinking bud) and tries really hard to catch a big fish. He finally actually does catch a fish, but on his way home a bunch of sharks eat it. The end.

Now I don't know about you, but I would totally go grab myself a copy of that book after that amazing summary. (If you don't understand sarcasm I'm just kidding.)

I understand that the novel has a lot of symbolism and themes and stuff, but it was still very boring to read. I also did not like that it did not have any chapters. That just made me forget where I left off when I went to read it again.

In all honesty though, some parts of the book were a little interesting. When Santiago finally caught the marlin I got a little excited. He definitely deserved to finally catch a fish. He seems like a pretty nice old guy, and he is a very hard worker. I was also very sad when the sharks ate his fish. You knew it would happen though. I mean, he tied the big bloody fish to the side of his tiny skiff. It was dragging in the water just asking to be eaten. It was especially sad when the old man ran out of things to defend his fish with. At the end he just kind of gave up. That was pretty depressing.

Thankfully all the people in the village see the skeleton of his huge fish, so they finally stop making fun of him. I do like that he finally finds peace in the end too.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear that you didn't like the novel - however, glad to see that you recognized the novel's literary significance in its symbols and themes.

    ReplyDelete