Thursday, March 24, 2011

Journal #42: Go Dickinson!

So if I lived in Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman's time period and I had to choose between the two to say which one I would like better it would be Emily Dickinson all the way. Walt Whitman is straight weird. I do not like him at all. I really dislike every idea he has. I think his "everyman" or whatever it is called is soooo dumb, and I really dislike how he tries to incorporate God in all of his poems. I just really dislike it. Every poem that we have read of his in class I have not liked, therefore, Emily Dickinson is a better choice for me.

All of Walt Whitman's poems are supposed to be so spiritual and absolutely inspiring. His poems do not inspire me at all. A lot of his poems make him sound like a self absorbed jerk. A lot of his poems seem very egotistical and narcissistic. He is so annoying. I really do not like him at all. I really really really really really really really do not.

Emily Dickinson is not much better than Walt Whitman, but she is not annoying and ego-centric like Whitman appears to be at times. A lot of her poems are more easy to read and understand. They do not have a billion meanings like most of Whitman's poems do. She tends to write with a more literal meaning which is more entertaining because then the reader does not have to try to think of what the writer is saying. I think that is what poetry should be like. Who wants to read something FOR ENTERTAINMENT and have to actually think about it? I guess people in that time period were more philosophical then we are today.

So far there is like one poem that I like of Emily Dickinson's. I do not remember what it is called, but it is about a girl who has a crush on a boy and she gets all fumbly with her speech and stuff and she cannot do anything right and then across the room the boy is the same way. I thought it was funny, and I actually understood it the first time I read it so that was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment