Thursday, September 9, 2010

Journal #5: Fair Punishments

I think taking away internet and other electronics is a good punishment for our time period. A lot of kids today use a lot of electronic toys. Technology is becoming very advanced, and it is an important part to our every day lives.

Some examples of the the technology that kids use today are the computer, TV, x-box, Wii, PlayStation, hand-held gaming devices, and cell phones. The biggest of all of these is cell phones. Almost every child in our modern time period has a cell phone. If you ask me, that is really ridiculous. I did not get a cell phone until my freshman year, and I only got one because I was on the soccer team and I had to contact my parents a lot. The biggest part about kids have cell phones is texting. Teenagers and pre-teens are constantly texting. Some people even text their friends when they are sitting right next to them.

I think a great punishment for today's world would be to take away texting. It does not really bother me because I do not text a whole lot. I do not really care about the whole texting thing. Usually if I text someone I am just asking them a question about homework or if they want to hang out, but to other people, texting is their life. There are some cases of teenagers who do nothing but text. Their social skills go way down because they do not know how to have a regular conversation with someone verbally.

Besides taking away electronics as a punishment, I also think doing a big clean up job around the house is a good punishment. A big clean up job would be like cleaning the garage, the whole house, washing the windows, power cleaning the outside of the house, something that would take a really long time to do. Those are the kinds of punishments that my parents give out. If we get in a lot of trouble, we have to do one of those long and boring jobs, and we can not see our friends until it is done. We may also get the car taken away. I think doing a big job like that is a good punishment because it gives you time to think about what you did. It makes you tired, and yeah, you will be really mad at your parents while you are doing it, but when you are done you feel pretty good about the work that you did, and your parents are usually pretty happy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment