Sunday, August 22, 2010

Final Thoughts On All Books

I managed to read all of the books on the summer reading list for junior 332 honors english. I started with The Old Man and the Sea, then I read The Catcher in the Rye, then The Grapes of Wrath, Their Eyes Were Watching God, Fahrenheit 451, and to wrap it up I read My Antonia.

The Old Man and the Sea is not a big book, but it took me forever to read. I thought it was so boring. There were only really three characters in the novel, which can get kind of boring at times. Almost the whole novel took place out at sea, which is also kind of a boring place to be. It would be fun if it was on a cruise or doing something fun, but it was not. I had to sit there and read Santiago go on and on about this huge fish that is so beautiful that he must kill. That he is a worthy opponent and all that stuff. Some people may have liked the book, but I just thought it was one of the most boring things I have ever had to read.

The Catcher in the Rye was one of my favorite books. I could relate to Holden because he does not want to grow up. I do not really want to grow up either. I have no idea what I want to do with my life or what college I want to go to. I have spent my whole life so far preparing for college and the rest of my life, but I have no idea what I want to do. It is kind of silly. I loved Holden's strange sense of humor. I zoomed through the book because I could not get enough of his cranky but hilarious attitude.

The Grapes of Wrath was an okay book. I do not really have a lot to say about it. I liked how it showed the farmer's point of view of the Dust Bowl. I also liked how the family went through so many things and almost fell apart, but in the end we see that there is still hope for them.

Their Eyes Were Watching God was another pretty good book. I would recommend it to a friend or family member. I loved how the novel took us through Janie's life and her journey to "the horizon". I also liked reading about her different husbands, and how they treated her and how she responded to them and grew as a person for it.

Fahrenheit 451 was definitely not one of my favorite books. I do not really like any novels that take place in the future. I think they are just kind of weird. I really like novels that take place in the past. I guess I like fact more then fiction. I like to know what was and how it affects our community today instead of how it will affect our community in ten years.

Finally, I kind of like My Antonia. Like The Grapes of Wrath and Their Eyes Were Watching God I liked how the novel took me through a long journey that the main character went on. I like the idea of having a long and beautiful relationship with someone just like Jim and Antonia.

No comments:

Post a Comment