Sunday, August 22, 2010

My Antonia: Keeping In Touch

The novel My Antonia takes place in the late 1800s and early 1900s. During that time there were not a lot of ways to keep in touch with someone. You could either write them a letter or go to see them. Keeping someone in your memory was a big deal. Seeing someone after a very long time and barely recognizing them was a huge deal. Of course, it is still a big deal today, but there are a lot of other ways to keep in touch today.

In our world today we have several ways of keeping in touch with someone. We have home phones, cell phones, texting, facebook, instant messengers, skype, myspace, twitter, letters, and many other things. Today it is almost impossible to not keep in touch with someone. I think this is a great quality for our society to have. I think it is very important to keep in touch with people that you were once great friends with.

I used to live in Florida. I was born there and moved here to Springfield, Illinois when I was seven. I attended St. Agnes for my first grade year, and then I moved to Farmingdale Elementary for my second grade year. I have been going to Plains ever since.

Because I have been to kind of a lot of places, I have friends from a lot of different places. I remember a few years after we moved to Illinois we took a trip back down to Florida. We met my best friend Chloe and my brother's friend Isaac and their family for a day. It had been a few years since we had seen them, and Chloe and I were both very shy. After being left alone to play, Chloe and I started to pick up right where we left off. We started to talk about our old memories together living in the same neighborhood. It felt so awesome to be able to talk to someone about some of my most loved memories. It was especially special because I shared those memories with Chloe, and she cherished them too.

Today, facebook is a huge help in keeping in touch with many of my "lost" friends. I am friends with a lot of people I went to elementary school with in Florida and at St. Agnes.

Just like Jim and Antonia think, I believe keeping in touch with someone is a very important thing to do. I hope I can be friends with someone for as long as Jim and Antonia are friends.

1 comment: