Sunday, August 15, 2010

Their Eyes Were Watching God: Final Thoughts

I thought Their Eyes Were Watching God was a very interesting book. I liked it a lot. I liked reading through Janie's journey to find "the horizon". I liked how we met a lot of very different characters. I also liked how we saw different sides of Janie as she moved on in life.

I am trying to read all the books this summer. I only have two more left to read, but right now Their Eyes Were Watching God might just be my favorite. I really like the time period it is set in. It takes place in about the 1920s or 1930s. I like seeing the racial differences in the story. I am not saying that I am racist or anything, but I mean I like to see different people's opinions on racism. For instance, Janie was born from a black woman and a white man. Therefore, she has nice straight hair like a white person. People see Janie's hair, and some of them think it is beautiful, but some of them think it is scandalous because they know she was born from a black and a white person.

Another example of racial views would have to come from Mrs. Turner. Mrs. Turner is a black woman, but she adores white people. She actually kind of hates black people. She takes to Janie because she sees that Janie has lighter skin and nice hair like a white person. Mrs. Turner tries to talk Janie into marrying her brother instead of staying with Tea Cake.

I think this is a good book for teenagers to read. It is not exactly a coming of age book, but it is kind of about reaching your goals. A teenager can learn a lot about find oneself from reading this book. The reader can learn how to be honest with oneself and with what they want. They can learn how to really treat others well by learning from the bad example of Jody Starks.

No comments:

Post a Comment